The Trials & Tribulations of a No Buy

Hi everyone,

I hope that you have all had a lovely weekend so far, and that the weather has been a little better where you are then it has been in North Yorkshire!

Me and my lovely friend, Jayne, @starryeyed83 on Instagram,(If you aren't following her, you should be!) decided that it was time that we tried a no buy...a proper one! Over the past year, my nail polish stash has grown considerably, and I now have around 360 polishes. Not a massive number compared to a lot of people, however; over half of mine are untrieds. As soon as I see a polish I love, I have to have it. I don't ever think to myself;  "Do I really need another pastel green?" or "Do I really need that gold glitter that is exactly like the other one I have?", I just pop them in my basket and off I go. This mentality has begun to catch me up a little now as I'm fighting an un-winnable battle with my untrieds...

Both me and Jayne decided that it was time for action, and that we needed to stop neglecting the pretties that we already own. We didn't set a length of time for the no buy, but we both know that we want to last all of January, which will be an amazing feat in itself. We have done 11 days so far, and believe me when I say that it has not been easy! We treated ourselves to some goodies in the Boxing Day sales which were great as they arrived after the no buy started, but now that there are no new pretties to come, things are getting tough.

Everywhere I look I see sales and bargains galore. I torture myself by trolling through Facebook pages that have been set up specifically for people to sell polish. I see Models Own and Barry M for £1.50 and have to stop my fingers from typing "Can I have these please?". Not only that, but walking into Superdrug is a nightmare. I feel like the polish is calling my name "Buy me Sam. Take me home with you. Give me the love I deserve." I have to put my polish blinkers on, and I buy an eyeshadow or a lippy instead, just so I feel like I've satisfied my urge to buy something pretty.

Whatever anyone tells you, being a polish addict isn't easy.

In more positive news...I have managed to use 7 untrieds so far, and look at these gorgeous polishes that have been neglected in my helmer for so long. It's such a shame that I haven't given them the attention that they deserve until now, but all that will change. 


I will carry on documenting my no buy journey, so stay tuned for more updates.

Thanks for reading, and let me know if you are struggling through a no buy too.

Sam x

Follow

2 comments

  1. Yep, I too have a problem with untrieds and have been working my way through them since November. Have managed to get them down to under half, just checked now. I have 201 polishes that I haven't used, and like yourself haven't bought any new polishes this year... yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you've been working on them for a while now, it feels so good to make a start on them. And what a bonus that you're down to under half! We can do this! Let's give our untrieds the love they deserve! ;)

      Delete