MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquer

I have been wanting to try the MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquers for quite some time now, and couldn't resist buying one when I popped into Superdrug the other week. I only picked up one as I wanted to test the water before buying more. I chose the shade 'Halcyon' which is a peachy nude shade. Here is what I thought of it.





Firstly, I love the packaging. It comes in a really expensive looking box which I think is a nice touch for a £3 lip product. It certainly does give it a more designer feel.


The tube itself has a really nice frosted finish with a matte black lid, again this makes the product look more expensive than it is.


You get a lip gloss style wand which makes application so easy, and you get the perfect amount of product on the wand so there is no wastage.


The product itself is very pigmented and you don't need a lot at all. I absolutely adore the colour of Halcyon, it's the perfect peach-nude and I think that this will suit all skin tones. There is another nude in the collection called 'Tranquility' but that is more of a traditional nude shade.

The lacquer dries to a velvet matte finish and surprisingly isn't too drying on the lips. However; there is one major flaw with this product, it flakes off your lips after around 30-45 minutes of wear. This is a massive problem as quite frankly it makes your lips look disgusting! I spent a good amount of time doing my make up before wearing this, and all that was ruined by this product. I hadn't done anything apart from talk, and had made a conscious effort not to touch or lick my lips. It seemed to flake off my top lip more than the bottom one, and it stayed surprisingly well on the bottom lip. Saying all of this, I must tell you that the remaining product on my lips did survive eating my lunch and drinking, so it does have a bit of staying power. 

Perhaps the flaking could be combated by applying a product such as Lipcote after application, but I've never had a problem like this with a lip products before so I'm a bit stumped to be honest.

I adore MUA and own so many items from them so this is a real disappointment for me. I won't be buying any more of these lip lacquers, but it certainly won't stop me from continuing to shop with MUA. If you want to check out the range, and don't mind topping up the lacquer every 30 minutes or so, then you can find the link to the MUA website here. You can also purchase the brand from Superdrug.

Have you tried these lip lacquers before? Did you have the same trouble with them flaking? Let me know in the comments.

Sam x

Follow

No comments